Fix your Rounded Shoulders In 7 Easy Steps
How can you tell if your shoulders are too rounded?
Try this test to see if you have rounded shoulders. Stand up and put your hands by your side. Where are your thumbs?
The best way to tell if your shoulders are rounded without being a chiropractor is to stand with hands at your sides. If your thumbs turn forward or outward then your shoulders aren’t rounded. On the other hand, if your thumbs turn in towards each other then your shoulders are rounded and you need to do the exercises below.
The picture above shows that his left is turned in quite a bit, while the right is only slightly turned in.
There are 4 Steps to fixing your rounded shoulders.
#1 Foam Roll Your Mid Back Fix Your Rounded Shoulders
Fixing your rounded shoulders requires that your mid back is in proper alignment. The more rounded your mid back the more likely that your shoulders are going to be rounded.
Here is a link for mid back exercises if that is your main concern.
- Lie on a foam roll at the level of the shoulder blades.
- Hold onto your neck to protect it.
- Lie of on the foam roll for 30 seconds to 2 minutes.
Exercise #2. Stretch Your Subscapularis To Fix Your Rounded Shoulders
- With a broom handle, pipe or other long objects, hold the pole by your side with your arm rotated backwards.
- Make sure arm is to the side and not in front.
- If stretching the right side, use your left hand to pull the pole forward.
- Hold for 30 seconds to a minute.
Exercise #3 Stretch Your Lats To Fix Your Rounded Shoulders
- Bring both arms above the head.
- Grab your right hand with your left and lean to the left.
- You should feel the stretch along your whole side from the shoulder down to the lower back on the right side.
- I don’t recommend the way she does the second exercise in the video, if you have a lower back problem.
- Hold for 30 seconds for 3 sets.
#4 Stretch Your Pec Minor Muscle To Fix Your Rounded Shoulders
- Get in front of a doorway or wall.
- Your elbow is bent at 90 degrees with your elbow touching upto the hand against the doorway.
- Move forward with your body until you feel the chest stretch at the pec minor, which is where the man above is touching.
- Hold that stretch for 30 seconds. That is a pec major stretch.
- After strething out the pec major, stretch the pec minor by moving your hand up until you feel the stretch again.
- Hold for 30 sec to a minute. Repeat 3 times.
#5. Strengthen Your Rhomboid To Fix Your Rounded Shoulders
- Brace your core by tightening your abs and your spine.
- Theraband is a little tight to start.
- Pull the band toward you so your elbow passes your body, and squeeze your shoulder blades together.
- Do 3 sets of 15.
#6 Strengthen YourExternal Rotators To Fix Your Rounded Shoulders
- Shorten your Theraband so that it is tight when you pull from both ends. Approximately 80% of your arm length.
- Pull apart the Theraband so that you are 45 degrees with both elbows. Be sure to keep your elbow close to your body using your body as a pivot point for your elbow.
#7 Strengthen Your Serratus Anterior To Fix Your Rounded Shoulders
- Feet about 20-30 cm or 8-12 inches from the wall with your elbows bent 90 degrees.
- Push your elbow into the wall so that your shoulder body goes backwards. Keep pushing until your body doesn’t move. This is called protraction of your shoulders.
- While your shoulders are protracted raise your shoulders as high as you can.
- Do this slowly for 3 sets of 10.
Tell us what you think in the comments below and like us on Facebook. This downtown Toronto Chiropractor will do his best to answer your questions.
Exericse #2 http://www.floota.com/SubscapularisStretch2.html
Exericse #5 https://myhealth.alberta.ca/Health/aftercareinformation/pages/conditions.aspx?hwid=zp4503
Exercise #7 https://www.active.com/fitness/articles/upper-body-warm-up-exercises/slide-5
Leave your thoughts to Fix your Rounded Shoulders In 7 Easy Steps