Exercises To Get Rid Of Orthotics.
Exercises can be your key to get rid of orthotics from your shoes?
You may be saying, well I depend on my orthotics so I can’t do without them. You may be surprised to find that most people have the ability, given the time and effort to do the exercises below, to get rid of orthotic dependency.
Your health practitioner told you to get orthotics. I say that while each case is individual I would say from experience that it is possible for many of my patients to improve their standing and walking so they can get rid of orthotics from most of their shoes.
I personally don’t need to wear my orthotics in my shoes anymore. Here’s what I did.
Strengthen Your Arches To Get Rid Of Orthotics
- Put weight on the three points of your foot. Heel, big toe joint, and little toe joint.
- You should be able to put a pen underneath. Hold for 30 seconds
- Now repeat as an up and down motion 300X over a few days to start to strengthen your foot.
- Lift up one leg while doing the same exercise. Make sure you are near a wall or table to hold your self up in case you lose your balance.
- Lift up one leg and do a squat while doing the same exercise. Warning you must have good stability to even attempt this. Those with stage 3 and 4 should not attempt this exercise.
Strengthen Your Arches with Heel Raises To Get Rid of Orthotics
You can do heel raises if your foot is not painful. You can do this on the floor doing 3 sets of 20.
Advanced: Do heel raises on the edge of the stairs with just the forefoot on the stair. Again you should not do this if you have any balance issues.
Strengthen Your Foot Muscles By Going BareFoot To Get Rid Of Orthotics
Dr. Niremberg a podiatrist says 3 Things
- Shoes weaken bones in our feet as less pressure is put on the bones. Going bare foot puts more pressure on the bones so the bones adapt by getting bigger and stronger.
- Shoes change the normal motion of our feet. Supportive shoes allow the muscles in the foot to relax. Since we don’t use them the muscles relax and the feet become flat or pronate.
- Shoes deform our feet.  A study showed kids that did not wear shoes had almost 3 times less flat feet than kids that did wear shoes.
Walking barefoot especially over uneven surfaces strengthens the muscles in your foot allowing your foot to work as nature intended. Walking on sand is even better.
Should I Go Bare Foot then?
I would encourage it for many but, in the later stages of buniosn or very painful plantar fasciitis, the change in the shape of the bones and inflammation of the joint at the bunion makes it too painful. For those with stage 1 bunion I would encourage it, but keep monitoring your bunion to make sure you are not getting worse.
In the modern world, the practical advice I would give is that you should go barefoot in your own house and your own property and the beach. If you show up at work barefoot and your boss scowls at you don’t blame me. You can simply get rid of the orthotics from your shoes. That might go over better.
1. The top 3 Ways Wearing Shoes Harms Our Feet and What We Can do About it.
2. J Bone Joint Surg Br. 1992 Jul;74(4):525-7.
The influence of footwear on the prevalence of flat foot. A survey of 2300 children.
Leave your thoughts to Exercises To Get Rid Of Orthotics.