Neck Pain Can Be The Root Of Your Dizziness, Headaches And Visual Problems
Headaches, dizziness, unsteadiness, and visual disturbances can all be traced back to your neck.
Altered eye movements and postural instability are possible even without neck trauma.
Causes Of Neck Pain Related Headaches, Visual Problems and Balance
Your eyes, ears, inner ears, neck and nervous system control your eye movements and balance.  Even minor blows, whiplash or low force blows to your head can affect your eye movements and balance leading to dizziness, headaches and neck pain.
Symptoms Of Neck Pain Related Headaches, Visual Problems and Balance
Visual disturbances include needing to concentrate to read, eye fatigue, difficulty judging distance and light sensitivity.  You might even lose yourself on the page or be really slow reading, or even have double vision. All of these symptoms overlap with concussion symptoms including poor concentration and fatigue.
Treatment Of Neck Pain Related Headaches, Visual Problems and Balance
- Balance problems you might describe as unsteadiness or light-headedness are often related to neck muscle fatigue.  Your chiropractor should be strengthening your neck for endurance by giving you the best possible treatment according to the latest research. A good indicator that you need neck strengthening rehabilitation is standing with your eyes closed. If you start to sway and your chiropractor determines that this is coming from your neck and not your inner ear or brain, then you would benefit from neck rehabilitation.
- Blurred Vision and Nausea treatment of the neck and the sensorimotor system is important. Eye exercises that you generally do at home, such as looking back and forth between various numbers and letters are helpful to train the eyes.
- Headaches and Neck Pain is a customized treatment tailored for you based on your specific patients. Manual treatment of the neck, especially following trauma, is helpful to alleviate neck pain, blurred vision, nausea and balance issues. Your chiropractor may also use acupuncture to help improve your particular situation.
Best practices at a chiropractic clinic that are recommended would include a customized approach with exercises to improve cervical joint position, movement, eye exercises along with static and dynamic balance
How Long Will Treatment Take
Dizziness and balance issues mean that you will likely have a poorer prognosis or take longer to recover. The more severe your symptoms and the longer you’ve had the problem the more likely it will be more difficult to treat and thus a longer prognosis.
- Baloh R & Halmagyi G. Disorders of the Vestibular System. New York, NY: Oxford University Press; 1996.
- Revel M, Andre-Deshays C & Minguet M. Cervi¬cocephalic kinesthetic sensibility in patients with cervical pain. Arch Phys Med Rehabil 1991; 72: 288-291.
- Treleaven J, LowChoy N, Darnell R, et al. Comparison of a sensorimotor disturbance between subjects with persistent whiplash-associated disorder and subjects with vestibular pathology associated with acoustic neuroma. Arch Phys Med Rehabil 2008; 89: 522-530.
- Hildingsson C & Toolanen G. Outcome after soft-tissue injury of the cervical spine. A pro¬spective study of 93 car-accident victims. Acta Orthop Scand 1990; 61: 357-359.
Tell us what you think in the comments below and like us on Facebook. I will answer all questions in the comments section here at this downtown Toronto Chiropractic clinic.
Leave your thoughts to Neck Pain Can Be The Root Of Your Dizziness, Headaches And Visual Problems